To the Parent:
Sometimes its hard to connect with your teens during this age and you may feel like you need an extra hand. Some difficulties can be considered “normal” and associated with “teenage angst” but what can you do as a parent? If you feel that your child can benefit from having a professional to speak to, you have come to the right place. Although this is “Individual Adolescent Therapy” there will be sessions, if you’re teen permits, where family is included in order to assist your adolescent in practicing learned skills.
Please be aware that adolescents also have client rights to privacy and therefore I will not be providing detailed information about our sessions unless your child poses a threat to himself/herself or a threat to others. I am also a mandated reported therefore I will have to report any suspected/reported child abuse.
To the Adolescent:
Maybe you feel that your parent is hung up with his/her own issues. Maybe you feel that they are just too involved in your life. Maybe it isn’t your parents but something happening at school. Maybe you feel that no one will ever understand and you feel alone. Whatever the issue is, speaking with a therapist will help to sort out these feelings and guide you in figuring out how to overcome them. You will benefit from this just like any other person will. Below are the benefits of individual therapy:
- One-on-one safe judgment-free interaction with a professional
- Develop new perspectives for yourself
- Learn to understand other’s perspectives
- Have someone to collaborate with in figuring out personal issues
- Learn and practice new skills for communication, anger management, stress reduction, relaxation, etc.
- Improve self-esteem
- Provide you with a scheduled time that is set aside for you and your needs
- Understand your own thoughts, actions, and beliefs
- Talk in private with a professional about any mental health concerns
Please be aware that you also have client rights to privacy and therefore I will not be providing detailed information about our sessions to your parent or guardian unless you pose a threat to yourself or others. I am also a mandated reported therefore I will have to report any suspected/reported child abuse.